Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Day of Rest





























Author: Wendy Mussoline














After 12 hours of sleep, I think I have finally overcome my jetlag. So today was a day that we had no former engagements and we were able to arrange our own schedule. I decided to ride my bike down to the sports complex to run a few laps in an attempt to stay in shape over the summer. I found plenty of lush green soccer fields with a local soccer game and many on-lookers. I watched for a bit and enjoyed the local fare.














The adventure for the day was my bikeride to Den Haag, which is approximately 10 km (4.2 mi) northwest of Delft. Bikepaths are very well marked and signs are generally posted along the way to help guide you in the right direction. I was thankful for the signs as I had no map with me. Along the way, I managed to take a few excursions through some parks laced with water throughout. Water is literally everywhere throughout Holland...the canals run through the centers of the city and restaurants just place floating docks outside for extra seating.














I was thankful that the sun was not going to set until 9:45 PM this evening. My trip to Den Haag was enjoyable, but it was quite a challenge to find my way home. At one point, I was riding in one direction and saw the sign to Delft that pointed the exact opposite direction...the story of my life. Thankfully, I was redirected by the signs (several times) and found my way home before sunset. I stopped in local markets for fresh fruit and talked to people gathering outside on the sidewalks and in the parks. The day was so beautiful, I think everyone was outside!







No comments:

Post a Comment