Monday, August 1, 2011

Delft, city of Delftware

Delft is of course famous for its Delftware.  The famous blue and white pottery has been produced in the Netherlands since the 1600’s.  It is a very popular souvenir item and can be found throughout the entire city.  Buying “real” Delftware however can be tricky and pricey.  There are so many different types from all over the country and every manufacturer has a different symbol which they put on the bottom of the pottery.   I bought three pieces of Delftware during my stay, one fake, one old but not antique, and one new.  I think I have quite the collection now, hopefully it all makes it home in once piece…or else I’ll have more Delftware than I wanted….


Vase from the Delftware Museum.

Vase designed to show of the famous Dutch tulips.

Suzie

No comments:

Post a Comment